Unique Learning System is an online, interactive, standards-based curriculum specifically designed for students with special needs. Subscribers download and interact with monthly, instructional, thematic units of study. Each unit contains special education lesson plans and interactive materials teachers can implement into classroom learning activities. All materials are created using SymbolStix symbols. The unit lesson plans define three levels of differentiated tasks which accommodate the diversity of learners with significant disabilities.
Unique Learning System’s curriculum provides a way for special education instruction to include ALL students in the same activity, with different levels of expectation.
Level 1: Students require maximum support. Increasing participation is the main objective.
Level 2: Students may require picture support and other direct support in learning and the demonstration of comprehension.
Level 3: Students can read text, produce simple writing, perform basic math processes, and can independently demonstrate comprehension of modified learning information.
Grade bands help you select material that is age appropriate and engaging for your students, no matter their developmental level. Select a grade level band that aligns to the chronological grade of your students.Download Band
New to Unique is the ability to interact with materials on-screen. Answer questions and use manipulatives in activities using the new interactive features which include: multiple choice selection, matching, text entry and drag and drop. Text to speech is also incorporated in all materials.
n2y uses instructional targets to bridge between standards and curriculum content for students with special needs. Instructional Targets are aligned to State Educational and Transition Standards. Monthly lesson plans and materials are delivered that address critical skills in reading, writing, math, science and social studies with embedded transitional outcomes.Download Standards
Unique Learning System’s GPS has been dramatically refined to identify student, classroom, and program goals. With the new GPS, you can track these goals and show growth with customized, intuitive graphs. All assessment data is stored on the n2y secure website which allows for students’ skill- growth measurements to be monitored and tracked over the years. The GPS includes the following assessments:
• Profile - serves as an indicator of a student's current abilities in the Preschool -- K-12 Learning, Self Help, Access and Participation or Transition areas. Each profile provides suggested levels of support and strategies for differentiating instruction.
• Checkpoints - provide pre-assessment and post- assessment measurements of monthly unit content and skill learning.
• Benchmarking - assessments enable teachers to gather baseline data and monitor progress in selected areas of reading, writing, and math.
• Core Rubrics - addresses transition readiness skills in the areas of employability, communication, self-advocacy, daily living, and social strategies.
• Transition Planning - is designed as a future planning tool for High School and Transition aged students.
Unique’s Administrative access allows administrators to easily manage educators and view teacher usage information. Administrators can view assessment data at the student, classroom and district level. Administrator access also provides many valuable tools including implementation plans, classroom observation forms and much more. This is a free service for subscribers.
Each month our partners in AAC bring you powerful pages and extension activities for communication and classroom support across all grade bands. Saltillo, Jabbla, Vizzle and Crick Software provide these classroom resources at no cost to you.